In light of the tensions sparked by the unjust killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd, and our desire to be part of the solution, here are some things that we know to be true.
- Every human being bears the image of our Creator and therefore has inherent, inestimable worth. Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us…” So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:26-27
- We are all brothers and sisters because we share the same parents. Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply.” Genesis 1:28, 9:1
- We are all equally loved by our Creator. There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28
- We are all equally welcomed by God. For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- We are all equally celebrated in heaven. After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne…and they were shouting with a great roar, “Salvation Comes from our God who sits on the throne and from the Lamb!” Revelation 7:9-10
- Love is our hallmark. You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments. Matthew 22:37-40
- We need to humbly and consistently check ourselves and renew our commitment to his Kingdom.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. Psalm 139:23-24